Monday, September 24, 2007

Quilt Redemption


The emotional impact of seeing something I made damaged became a reality a couple weeks ago. My sister's dog, Lily, is a 10 month old Lab Australian shepherd mix. She lives exuberantly, with all the grace of a bull in a china shop, and with a tail that wags ferociously. She likes to lounge full sprawl on my parents couch. The same couch on which I left a quilt that I made as a wedding gift for my friend Kim. She wasn't able to pick it up the day that it was finished and I should have moved it to a safer place. But I didn't. A few days later, I walked in the door of Mom's house and Sarah was in the living room looking at it. "Who's this quilt for?" she asked. Kim's wedding present I told her. "Lily kind of chewed a hole in it, do you think you can fix it?" When I went over to look at it I was filled with despair, I couldn't help but cry. Lily had chewed through the quilt top, the batting, and the back fabric. The hole was probably only 3" x 4" but it looked like a gigantic gaping wound. When I looked at Lily she had batting (Batting is the stuff in the middle of the quilt) hanging out of the side of her mouth. We had to wait until Mom got home to figure out if it could be fixed. Mom is amazing. She ripped out my quilting and the 6"x 6" block with the hole in it. I made a new block and fitted a piece of batting into the hole. She was able to piece the new block in through the back of the quilt. We sewed the new batting into place and put a patch on the backing. We covered the patch with a label saying who the quilt was given to and who made it. I was able to re-quilt it and the quilt was saved...
I guess it's like Jesus blood patches the sin in my life. God made me and how he must sorrow that sin has eaten holes in my life. But Jesus redeems me, kinda like how mom was able to redeem the wedding quilt. Very cool.

6 comments:

Mare said...

Wow, what a cool connection! I am glad your mom was able to fix the hole in the quilt. I hope Kim will like it. It is very pretty. Have a great rest of the week!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know you don't know me and this may seem weird but, here goes anyway. My name is Robin. I googled Way of the Master and Vancouver in hopes of finding a church there. I'm currently in England but I'm from Vancouver and will be coming back there in January. I'm really glad you like WOTM (my husband and I LOVE there ministry-it's revolutionized our walks and how we share the God's beautiful Gospel) Anyway, we're looking for a church in the area that's solid and is WELL founded on the Word. Any recomemedations? PLEASE HELP US!! We're desperate for fellowship and know it'll be hard when we go back home. You can email me at Robimseimse@yahoo.com or if you have myspace, mine is myspace.com/binsonne We'd really appreciate any help you can give.

♥Carrie~Margaret♥ said...

Wow girl!!!! that looks faboulas!!!!!!!!!!! My Ma told me she loves it too!! i hope ya & Nate bug continue to be blessed!! Love always!

Aimee B. said...

That is such a gorgeous quilt, Andrea. Mom's are great in how they can fix things. I've just recently started making quilts. You've inspired me to keep working on them! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Great Quilt!
My dog did a similar deed...to a wall hanging quilt....still need to fix it. It is discouraging after ALL THAT WORK...and then....It was HEALED! Sweet!
glad you shared....THANKS! MARY Wright :-)

Ames said...

Thank you Nate for calling last night. It helps to know you are praying for us... It's scary.