Thursday, May 18, 2006

Coffee does wonders for Bible study

So I've been getting up earlier in the morning so I can get ready for work sooner, and have some down time before I leave. I've been amazed that it seems to be sticking. I have such a hard time getting out of bed until just before I really need to in order to be out the door on time. What's different I think, is that I do my usual morning routine, and then make some coffee and sit down with my Bible. I don't have to worry about anything else until it's time to leave for work. Well, this down time has alowed me to begin really digging into the Word, and also read more of it (I think I went through 1 & 2 Corinthians in like four days!).





Just the other day, I found something really really cool! I don't know why it's got me so excited, but it does. Lots of books for men stress 2 Corinthians 10:5, "...we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." I've always thought that was a great verse, but deep down, I didn't actually know how to apply it. How does one make every thought obedient to Christ? How does a person capture a thought to begin with?

So I'm reading along, and I read that verse, and then think about it for a while, and stop short. There's more to the verse than I'd been taught. It says:

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that set itself up against the knowledge of God, and take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

Did you catch it? Taking a thought captive isn't the action, it's the result of demolishing the things that set themselves against the knowledge of God! The answer was right there the whole time, and I never saw it. In fact, another translation puts it this way:

"With these weapons we break down every proud argument that keeps people from knowing God. With these weapons we conquer they're rebelious ideas, and teach them to obey Christ."

There isn't even anything about taking a thought captive. This is also a good verse on the cultural commission (but that's another sermon ;). Okay One Point Three, does everyone remember what the cultural commission is?

This is a great incentive for memorizing scripture (as if we needed another one). If I have verses in my head that will refute the rebelious ideas and thoughts that cross my mind all too often, then I have a weapon at my disposal that will demolish those strongholds before they have the chance to take hold.

Sorry I seem a bit over excited about this. My mind is a serious battle field in my life, and it was so cool to read that verse in a way that I'd never noticed before, and that I have yet to have pointed out to me, and one that, if applied consistantly, will score some serious victories down the road.




Well, my resume goes in tomorrow (unless they've already found somebody). Please pray for an interview. I'm still not holding my breath, but I'm going for all the way.

No comments: