Monday, July 31, 2006

Walupt Lake Part II

So I've kept you in suspense long enough. Here's what happened after we started back down the trail:

We decided to follow some tracks down the snow left by some previous hikers. Simple enough. They were headed back down the hill. I figured they must have better route finding skills than me, so we'd find the trail in no time. Well, they didn't, and neither did we. We lost the track, and then couldn't figure out exactly how we had managed to climb up the hill in the first place. We were lost. Shortly after this revelation, we found bear scat... We stopped and prayed.

I knew, that if we stayed to the right, we would eventually come across a trail. So I kept us traversing along the hillside. Soon, I heard voices, and then I even saw people walking on the hill above us! I headed up and to the left, because they were on top of a cliff, so we had to get around it to find the trail. Soon, we found it. In fact, the picture of Mt. Adams that you saw in the last post was taken right where we found the trail again.

So we hiked the rest of the way down, warning other hikers of the risk. :) Needless to say, we were exausted. We went for a brief swim in the lake though, because we were quite dirty from the hike.


Well, there will have to be a part three later, because Blogger is not letting me upload pictures right now. So, pictures will have to come tomorrow. I guess that explains why I couldn't load them at Andrea's.

No comments: